Ms. Hamer’s practice emphasizes the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and international patent applications. Her practice focuses on inventions in the aerospace, biofuels, environmental, green energy, national defense, nuclear, semiconductor, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and drug delivery industries. Before joining TraskBritt, Ms. Hamer worked at NPS Pharmaceuticals, isolating spider and scorpion venoms, doing chromatography of small molecules and proteins, and performing high throughput screening of small molecules. Ms. Hamer also has experience in enzyme characterization studies and in the synthesis and purification of small molecules.
Areas of Special Expertise
- Chemical compositions and chemical processes
- Infringement, validity and enforceability evaluations
- Intellectual property due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- Patent and technology portfolio assessments and audits
- Product clearance opinions
- Strategic counseling regarding intellectual property
- Technology evaluation and invention identification
Prior Professional Experience
- Research Associate, NPS Pharmaceuticals
- Reed College, B.A. in Chemistry
- University of Utah College of Law, J.D.
Semifinalist in the Regional Division of the National Trial Competition
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Colorado Bar
- Utah Bar
- Washington Bar
- Suchyna, T.M., J.H. Johnson, K. Hamer, J.F. Leykam, D.A. Gage, H.F. Clemo, C.M. Baumgarten, F. Sachs. “Identification of a peptide toxin from Grammostola spatulata spider venom that blocks cation-selective stretch-activated channels.” Journal of General Physiology, May 2000; 115(5):583-98.