- Best Lawyers in America – 2007-2020
- Best Lawyers SLC Trade Secrets – 2017,2019-2020
- Best Lawyers SLC Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year – 2015
- Best Lawyers SLC Copyright Law – 2014,2020
- Best Lawyers SLC Information Technology Lawyer of the Year – 2013
- Chambers – 2011-2017
- iAM Patent 1000 (Patent Litigation) – 2012-2017
- IP Stars – 2013-2017
- Martindale Hubbell (AV Rated) – Since 1998
- Super Lawyers – 2007-2019
- Super Lawyers Mountain States Top 75 – 2011
- Super Lawyers Mountain States Top 100 – 2012-2015, 2017
Areas of Special Expertise
- Chemical, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical and Nutritionals Construction, Mechanical and Manufacturing Equipment and Systems
- Expert witness services in intellectual property disputes
- Information Technology, Computers and Software
- Litigation and enforcement of intellectual property in various technical areas
- Mediation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution
- Sports equipment
- Utah Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Brigham Young University, B.A., magna cum laude – (Presidential Scholar)
- Brigham Young University Law School, J.D.
Recent Representative Cases
- Catheter Connections v. Ivera Medical/3M – Medical Device patent dispute hotly contested over several years in multiple states. Obtained two preliminary injunctions on three different patents, as well as a contempt order for opponent’s violation of one of the injunctions, leading to a favorable settlement.
- Won-Door Corporation v. Cornell Iron Works – Patent infringement case involving movable partitions. Obtained a preliminary injunction after extensive briefing and two court hearings, leading to a consent judgment and permanent injunction against Cornell.
- Storm Products v. Ebonite – Defended patent infringement case involving bowling balls. Obtained Court Order invalidating Ebonite patent. Affirmed on appeal.
- SME Steel Contractors v. Star Seismic – Obtained dismissal of patent infringement case relating to seismic braces used in steel frame construction, affirmed on appeal; subsequently defended related claims of breach of license agreement, fraud and tortious interference to trial, obtaining a judgment dismissing all claims and awarding attorneys’ fees of nearly $1 million.
- Choice Hotels v. JMS Lodging – Trademark infringement case – obtained judgment and permanent injunction.
- Etagz v. TV Guide Magazine – Defended TV Guide in patent infringement case; settled favorably on the eve of summary judgment hearing.